I like lists. Everybody that knows me, knows that. On a random day I will have grocery lists, outfit lists, meal prep lists, restaurants and cafe’s to visit and of course I have a bucket list (see here).
The main reason for all these lists is because I have a very chaotic mind and I usually cannot organize everything in my head. So to be able to be as organized as I like to be, I have to make lists!
I am also a firm believer in when you keep your surroundings very organized, you will feel organized within as well. It definitely helps me on a daily basis. So here are 20 things that I try to do, on a day to day basis, to keep my home and myself a little more organized:
- Lay out your clothes the night before, including; jewelry, bag, shoes, underwear
- Charge your phone at night
- Store matching bed sheets in their matching pillowcase, including your fitted sheets (which is also a good way to hide these impossible to fold nightmares)
- When buying electronics, download the manual online and store it in the cloud or on your laptop
- Always open your mail next to the recycling bin and if possible, throw away what you already read
- Systematically do 1 load of laundry each day (family) or every 3 days (couple/ single)
- Set your clothes, that need to be ironed aside. Do NOT hang them back in your closet before ironing. Try do iron them once a week.
- Set the clothes with holes, missing buttons aside as well. Take time every week or every 2 weeks to fix these (or have these fixed)
- Empty your dishwasher, or do and dry your dishes every evening right after dinner. Then, before going to bed, you can put them away.
- Wipe down shower/ bath after every use, don’t forget the sink
- When cleaning a room; get rid of at least 5 items (old magazine, trash, things you don’t use anymore)
- Clean as you go: don’t leave a room without taking something with you
- Plan your meals for one week. (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks) It’s usually cheaper & healthier and makes you feel so well prepared and organized
- Try to go grocery shopping once a week and leave it at that (after you’ve finished your meal planning)
- Cook an extra meal each day to freeze a portion. Don’t forget to add the date of when you froze it
- Keep a master shopping list for your most used items (milk, lemons, olive oil, butter, toilet paper, etc.) and make a note when it’s almost empty. I keep a list in the pantry and write down when I used the last one of something.
- When cooking, clean as you go. You won’t have to clean as much after dinner.
- When cleaning the bedroom, always make the bed first. It will look clean right away.
- Polish shoes before putting them away
- Put items immediately away after use
Hope this helps in being a little more organized! But I’d also love to hear what YOUR little tricks are?